Skip to main content

tv   Book TV  CSPAN  August 21, 2011 10:00pm-11:00pm EDT

10:00 pm
>> you know, many people remember back in 2000 no child left behind, when i was on the spies behind, financially, emotionally, relationship wise. and i will never forget a friend of mine from new york, and ambassador called me on the phone and people say whatever he
10:01 pm
might face on television again and that i was doomed. paternoster recalled the details, but i used bad judgment snake said the responsibility for the bad judgment. just because he used bad judgment and accept responsibility come you still have a price to pay. you pay a price when you do things that go against the virtue upon which they are. so 2004 until 2008, i was in the valley and i was wondering if i would ever have my way of life back again. and then i would realize there was one particular morning i was laying in bed and delay just flickered. after four years, i reawaken them something just said rio beach or virtues your values. as clear as i'm standing here
10:02 pm
talking you, something safeco back to the beginning. so i had to reawaken the value of truth and honesty and integrity. i had to reawaken the values of physiology at success coming working out, taking care of my house: making sure i wasn't taught critical shake country in shape. more importantly, i had to reawaken the value of what i wanted to be a journalist for some type for the republican party. i decided not only did i want to return to journalism, but i knew many people would question it. a lot of people would dismiss me a comment or $240,000 man. unless a mini credibility is, but i realized i wasn't doing it for anybody else. it was about eight, my truth in my getting grounded against his side started by going back to church and being alone with god in giving back to the kinds of things my parents taught me
10:03 pm
about honesty, about trying to be good. you know, sometimes being good, we say things about eating good, but she can't just say being good. and so, it was because of this that i decided i needed to reawaken the virtues of my life and see if i could turn things around. but really, i also realized in "reawakening virtues" that things were not as bad as i thought they were. i lost 80% of my business. i manage my business well. i manage my money well. i did not spend perversely. i did not have allotted that. so while i have people wanting to help me out financially i said no and i have to find a way to return to the virtue that bill but i have been the beginning. so i realized that all had not been lost.
10:04 pm
they realized they had to reawaken myself and get back to where he was. >> county return not to america? >> you know, america is in a financial crisis. america is in a debt crisis. and maybe people just don't understand when we talk about the death dealing with the debt ceiling reflect who we are as americans. we spend more than we aired. we buy things that we cannot afford it we don't want to make sacrifices. and so the united states has accumulated so much that for intentionally and dollars to 16 billion over the last 10 years. our revenues cannot keep a period we had to get back to fiscal responsibility. it's like having a credit card. if you max out in your interest rate, at some point you have to
10:05 pm
pay the credit card off, find a way to restructure your debt or you're going to go into bankruptcy. you will become bankrupt. what we have to do is return to fiscal discipline and being responsible. we caught a country -- a lot of this started with the early real estate boom, when everybody thought that owning a home was a right as well as the privilege. you can only own a home that you can afford. there's a lot of upkeep that people don't realize. the government is in a financial crisis and yet the government is on the verge of bankruptcy. in fact, we are the 800-pound gorilla in the room. but the only way the united states is going to return to sovereignty, returned to where it people come to the prosperity we once had, and the american people must get it in order. >> finally, sean williams, this new chapter --
10:06 pm
>> you know, new chapter publishing is out of florida. this was important because sometimes we invest so much in our opinions and views, we don't realize when i buy it. i didn't want a conservative editor. i wanted to be challenged. i wanted somebody to make me defend what i believe. i was rethinking everything in my life. so i met with chapter publisher. in fact, larry klayman who used to be with judicial made introductions and chris engelman knew about my views. when i told him the kind of book i wanted to write, "reawakening virtues," he said he can't be a political book. you can't just beat up on democrats. he said i don't know if you can do that. you've been doing it for so
10:07 pm
long. i didn't realize that a challenger was for me, the criticism i had and how i was highest towards republicans that i did not hold them is accountable if help democrats. and so the first eight months was wrestling with myself, getting to the integrity and virtue of writing an honest but when people can see this as fair comment just, honest. and so, chris engelman and new chapter publishing is a blessing for me because he reawakened the integrity of my ranting to be fair to both sides. >> host: we are debug party for armstrong williams, "reawakening virtues: restoring what makes america great" is his latest. go enjoy your party. >> how are you doing? you made it. you got my invite. my god, how are you doing? i was online,, i was reading ron
10:08 pm
collins. i was very intrigued by that article. and i was just reading because i get stuck in reading things and i kept reading and reading. i never knew that torre. so i thought i got new invite him to my boat party. i sent him an e-mail and he never responded. i said there he is. you always agonize if people are going to read this. as i write for the time? you just have to let all two years ago -- i started two years ago. [inaudible] >> no child left behind. i realized in order to reclaim virtues companies start reclaiming yourself. because you'll get lost. you know, once i had the
10:09 pm
premonition that you've got to reclaim your virtue. once you reclaim your virtue, then you can start living again. >> the book is doing well. so excited and everything. >> i didn't want a political book. i stayed away from politics and strictly dealt with virtue. virtues of capitalism, savings. got to stay away from politics. he is managing editor for news magazine. clyde told me you are coming, you are confirmed. nowhere do you live? >> i'm in new york. so i'll be at the new york book party. >> how do you know clyde? >> e. is my lawyer. >> he called to tell me. he said he on the lookout.
10:10 pm
i'm just trying to walk around here. what brings you to deceive? >> we are meeting up with -- vanessa and i are kicking off in our collection. >> you should talk to mr. bender. he is huge and. you know, founder is in jail. dallas has arsdale. yes, he's in jail. it's a small world, isn't it? >> that's exactly right. last week testified against a woman who was selling the art. i read that. >> so we were just meeting up with some friends, some client. >> yeah. keep telling me that. i will sign the book so everybody can get a copy of the
10:11 pm
book. you've got to read the book. yeah, you've got to read the book. >> so you're going to national? >> i'm going to kick up the book party. let me tell you. the book party -- books have changed so much since my book in 1995. the publishers would do everything. for the party, fly you all over the country. basically now it's a partnership. they will publish the book. new chapter is my publisher. there is so much you have to do in terms of the book. it is changed so much. this is the first book i have written in 16 years. i can only write if i have something to say. i went through no child left behind in 2004 and i wanted to reawakened my own virtue. that is what it started with.
10:12 pm
and you can talk about writing about. that's the easy thing. but actually getting it done is a huge step -- a huge undertaking. you should try it. >> i would like to thank all of you for coming to our home tonight. dr. ben carson and his wife, candy and my has-been morty and i are happy to have you in our home tonight for a friend, armstrong williams book signing. we meant armstrong a number of years ago that first year and alphonso jackson. alfonzo with the secretary of housing at the time. we became instant friends and still are great friends today. armstrong gave me his book a few months ago. i read it. i feel that it's philosophical.
10:13 pm
it is his biography. i have some issues with some of his comments. [laughter] i won't elaborate on any of those. but the important thing, what made me realize that he is something very important to say. and that is we have a really great country and we really were great and we really are great. but our compass broke somewhere along the line and it needs to get fixed. and it means to get six both politically. it needs to get fixed with friends and most importantly with family. i was telling armstrong today that it makes me very sad to realize how many kids today are in families that the mothers are working because they have to
10:14 pm
work. when i grew up, the only mothers that worked for those who are professional doctors or lawyers and nurses. no one else worked. but kids today, their mothers have to work to put food on the table. the other thing is those who are well-educated because their mothers said get a degree can walk wanted to work and didn't want to stay at home. so these kids are struggling for their identity and it is a whole generation that's been lost. and i think armstrong's book touches on not. may not agree with everything in it, that you will agree that we are great country. we lost our confidence and we need to get it back and families need to get back to being families. so armstrong, which like to say something? [applause]
10:15 pm
my cohost, dr. ben carson and candy, forgive me for not introducing new. and you introduce. >> first of all, thank you for coming out for this occasion. armstrong has been working on this book for a while and it has been a very exciting project. as you probably know, this is not his first endeavor in the book realm. beyond blame and letters to young but comes have also been excellent publications. armstrong and i have an opportunity to talk several times a week, frequently when i am driving into work, discussing the issues that the day, what is going on and coming in now, most of the time he's ready and the
10:16 pm
other times he disagrees with me. [laughter] but you know, a book about virtues is so timely and this time in which we live right now because people have a tendency to do things, you know, two-minute late situations for their own gain, political gain as opposed to doing things that are right. and it seems to be a part of being an american that has been lost. you know, in 1831 when alexis de tocqueville came to america to look at what was going on here because the europeans are just flabbergasted at how this nation, which was barely 50 years old was already competing with all the powers inherent. and they said that's impossible. and so we've got to go over and find out what's going on.
10:17 pm
in the process of looking at a government, they also said look at this. they were absolutely blown away when they saw what was going on in the schools in this country because first of all, anybody finishing the second grade was completely literate. you could go in the mountains and pine for many and greed and they knew all kinds of amazing things. anybody finishing the fifth or sixth grade was like a college graduate today. in fact, if you want to be made public at a fifth or sixth grade exit exam. i doubt most college graduates today compacted. but not only with their high academic standards, but in the schools they taught the children values. and you know, one of our founding fathers said, if you educate a person without teaching them values, you are creating a menace to society. and i think we have seen many examples of that in our society
10:18 pm
today. this vote that armstrong has written really addresses that issue by many, many levels. this is extraordinarily important for the time in which we live. i'm extremely proud of this man, armstrong williams. [applause] >> awkward place for me, but i'll make the most of it. i'm not accustomed to being high and looking though. i'll do my best. you know, i want to thank grace bender and morty bender for opening up their home and hearts to host this book party. and i want to thank the carson's
10:19 pm
and candy for making time to be a part of this. because you know, in washington, there's a lot about fear. you know, it's about being seen. but the vendors are really good friends of mine. his son, jd has been our producer for the radio show for the last two years. gb is their son, said there is a real relationship here. and the curse ends, when murray and grass and all of them that some pointed stayed with me over the last few years, we built a real relationship. it's difficult in life to build real relationships and really get to know people. how we can make it work, every morning at 6:30 a.m. we are in the pharmacies in town. and that's easy for me because every morning at 4:30 a.m. i am on the phone with my mother and
10:20 pm
my brothers and sisters. that has been going on for at least 15 years. it doesn't matter whether i'm out of the country not. i talked my mother every day seven days a week. why? because i get to know who they are. sometimes you don't even know your own relatives. you are so disconnected from them. when something happens you say my god, i didn't know about my brother. i never have that issue. that was part of my upbringing. it's too easy for me. there's nothing because i've been there so long. that's how i operate. you know, it's the only way i can talk about him. he's been in the operating room, so i want to talk to him so i respect virtue of time. but i want to get back to the book. i have some very dear people in the room. surely.
10:21 pm
surely has been with me for 15 or 16 years. she's one of many editors in the boat. [applause] dr. carson's son -- i've been writing this book for almost two years. he doesn't want you to see that hair. he was very helpful with me with the book. amari west is not care. these are the people. i don't go out and get professional writers. to get the best writers come in the best editors of these are the people who worked with me for the last three years on this boat. to make this boat possible. [inaudible] [laughter] >> i'm always responsible. i want you to meet the team of people. i want to thank them before the c-span i dance.
10:22 pm
[applause] i want to introduce you to make good friends. i know is not going to come up, so leave that alone. and kobe is here. so that me tell you this. everybody remembers no child left behind from 2004. i must've said something to awaken his virtue. but anyhow, 2004 was no child left behind. it was a very tumultuous, not just a tumultuous year in my life. [inaudible conversations] angela, you have to follow the spirit of the doubt. but anyhow, obviously i had my moment in the valley from no child left behind and i was
10:23 pm
trying because i lost my way of life, lost 80% of my business. what was interesting that they never lost any of my friends. never did. my friends really do again and hung in there with me. normally you see find out who your friends are. that never happened with me. come all and i had known each other for 30 years. we are a real estate class together, got her license together. my pastor, frank tucker would always give me sound advice. so my relationships never change. when you relationships never change, it says a lot about you, about what you really invested in. in life, i lost a lot of money, less than a credibility and i also understand it doesn't matter how many books i write, how many columns i write, people always leave with no credibility because they sold myself out at no child left behind without disclosing it. the good thing about life, know
10:24 pm
much how god forgives you, how much you restore yourself to a better place come you still have paid the price for your shortcomings from falling short. that never goes away. and that is the price i will always have to pay. the lesson in, just because you are forgiven come you never stop paying for your sins and for coming. you know? it's okay. life goes on. you've just got to keep living. get up in the morning, hold your head up high. you can't worry about what people say because you've got to keep going. you just have to keep hoping one cinder block at a time. i realized and "reawakening virtues," you know, i used to be so busy writing about everybody else's virtues than everybody else's problems. it's so easy, but i woke up one morning and something we awakened in me. i can't even tell you what it was. i may know everything was going
10:25 pm
to be all right. what i realized i had to do was reawaken my own virtue. my virtues of truth and honesty. they virtue of integrity, by virtue of capitalism. you see, virtue starts within. if you embark on yourself, the hardest work you do 24 hours a day's work on yourself. that is the hardest worker in the world. try to be good because being good is not easy. it's a very difficult process. that's what it's much easier to point out a problem and someone else and not look at yourself. germany tell you what i learned over the last several years? the more i worker myself, the better the world around me comments. it starts with you. i didn't want to write a political book. i didn't want to write a book bashing democrats. i was tired of that. i wanted to write a book about virtue because virtues are not black-and-white. they are not liberal or republican. virtues are universal truths.
10:26 pm
so we found a publisher, new chapter publishing out of sarasota florida. i wanted a liberal editor. i sought him out. i must tell you i never realized just how biased and how locked down i was in my political ideology that i could not even tell you what the truth was a massive is republican, conservative them. it took me eight years -- eight months to work up my own own issues and be fair. this is what happens to us. we get so bogged down in being a democrat, being a republican that we buy into so much that we have no idea what it takes to get to the truth. it took me almost a year to get to the truth, things i thought it could never seen made me see the light. then i began to see things in terms of truth and honesty. i begins the issues at the republican party out of power. you know the conclusion i've come to? throughout the same. at the end of the day, in order
10:27 pm
for the country to get back to where it needs to be, we expect to get back to the virtue of saving and capitalism. if you want to know what's wrong with the country, where we have this debt crisis, it's because you look in your own home. people spend that they don't have. your home is just like the country. it's a corporation. you're the mother, you're the father. you have children. the children while they are an asset don't bring any revenues in the household. so all those corporate debts that you have. major debt. what you have to do is yet to sit down with your spouse and set a budget because you realize no income will be generated. guess what? though the air for 18 years that sure to calculate the data. imagine you have dead can you keep spending more than you have appeared when you make a hundred
10:28 pm
$50,000 altogether countersign interna $50,000 a year. you say to somebody and so overleveraged i need to increase the debt ceiling. can i get an additional $500,000 to work with? under the interest rate is high, going to pay it off. imagine what's going that didn't. you're going to go bankrupt. you're going to lose your home. it's going to impact everything, it's initially your kids. americans are living beyond their means. they don't want to sacrifice that i went to get this ice cream cone. no, maybe i should sacrifice the ice cream cone. it's just that simple. maybe i should do something different. we are not willing to sacrifice. it's easy for me to criticize people the white house and congress, but it reflects who we are. and money and materialism has replaced god and i like bearded guy to give back back to the virtue of this habit.
10:29 pm
we have to find time to be alone with god. we have to find time to be alone with their money. we find time to be alone with our toys, but we have to find time to get back to being alone with our creator so we can redefine who we are coming to pick to the essence of what it once made america great. virtues, honesty, hard work. we don't need the government to tell us to be charitable. we know how to take care of our neighbors. and people -- the rich. it's not the issue about the rich. and i believe the rich kids. the issue is that there a percentage of people in this country don't pay taxes and so the other 52% in scaring the other%. i believe in virtue everybody should pay the same. everyone should have skin in the game. that's not black-and-white. it's just the way it is.
10:30 pm
the problem is not everybody is pulling their weight in this country and it's got to be shared sacrifice. everybody must suffer in this economy. no one will be left unscathed as we go through this very tough times. she's got to make the sacrifices, whether it's entitlement programs, the pentagon, the wasteful spending in congress. they're all the same. i like drunken sailors to just keep kicking the bucket to the next party. our children will be the ultimate ones who pay the price for it. we had to get out of bed. you cannot spend. you cannot increase the deficit from 10 trillion to 15 trillion over two and half years. you can't live that way. another problem is foreign countries are our debt. looking around home. if the government managed its household the way you manage yours, i think america would be a better place. we've got to get back to the
10:31 pm
virtues of capitalism in savings. went to a name? a great lesson my mother taught me. when a bill came in, and another would pay it immediately. the parents that i would say, just because you make money here this year, there may be a job next year. put something aside. you can't spend like every day is going to be a blessing because all you have to do is go back to the virtues of the bible. you've got to learn to save money. you never know when your storm is going to hit. you never know when you have a medical crisis. you've got to have financial discipline. the other is as we talk about the crisis, it's not the end of the world. my crisis may have been no child left behind. and you know, for all purposes, i can't tell you why. there's a lot of people you serve god and believe i like i
10:32 pm
do. not everybody wants the same thing. created equal, to make the same choice. their prices you pay when you don't have a father in the household. children aren't much better when they have a mother and a father. did you think a father is a luxury today come kidding yourself. i could not be the man i am today without my father. what we begin to believe is to tell us what we don't need in the virtues of motherhood probably get back to the virtues of motherhood. the thing that brought me to the precipice of success, but then i last night and i list of pitchers get back back to simple things, hard work, discipline, sacrifice, respect and time. anyone in his term will tell you if you have an appointment at 12:00 i'll be there at 11:45 a.m. because i respect
10:33 pm
time. that's the way out paris. it's the one thing you cannot get that. you can never get time that matter how hard you try. i really encourage you to read the book because the book is not about me. it is about what works. from the beginning of time, i don't care what anybody tells you, always be absolute. whether you believe it or not, we'll have some kind of struggle. somebody may struggle with rice cancer. when you struggle with diseases, terminal diseases can you learn things about yourself that you never knew before. you learn to fight to live. everybody faces a crisis, the crisis is a blessed and because you really learn who you are when you're in the fire, what rupert murdoch is going through, the bottom line is that will test a scared or in a way it never has he for her. and you will see whether or not
10:34 pm
the phoenix will rise out of the ashes. i think about my friend david met. you know what? a ton of 10 will always rise to the top. no matter where we are in the world, we will always rise to the top. you've got to look at the virtue in the value and realize where your strength came from. does that come for a dollar, doesn't come from your marriage. comes from the dtd when no one else is looking in the moral choices unique everyday to make your life better, which ultimately make life better on you. what you thank you for coming. i want everybody to go up briefly in the heat and thanks to the vendors and the carson's. they wouldn't dare allow you to buy a book today. they paid for themselves. they are all paid for. [applause] and i'm grateful. let me tell you, i'm grateful. i want to thank you for coming.
10:35 pm
for "reawakening virtues," you have to reawaken the virtues than you. no matter how blessed you are, no matter how fortunate you are coming you can spend 20 years building something is said in in a flash. the last thing i want to say is the virtue of friendship and relationships. you've got to take care of your relationships. not when you want something, not when you need something. if there's one thing i think they do a good job at army relationships is because they are very important to me, my relationships. i think i picked up the phone and called 70% of the people in this room because i really wanted you to be there. it is important to us that you can't because you want to just not reawaken virtues in this room, but reawaken virtues of this nation and get back on the track of financial sovereignty and get rid of issues like race and class because you know what? were all going to die.
10:36 pm
when you're on your deathbed, the last thing to be thinking about is your empire and how much money you have. you're going to try and save your soul. i'll close with this. one of the things that was always me as a child. my parents were so upset with this thing called heaven. they really believe there is a heaven. they really believe there was a life beyond earth. there's no more sorrow, no more sadness, no hurt, nothing but joy. as a child, you imagine a place like that really exists. even though my father passed away, on his deathbed he was talking about the city called heaven. he said boy, you know how you get there. it got a live right come into good, be honest, have integrity. even when it means you lose. so for me as a gambling man and i take risks. as a gambling man, what a way to lose if i'd bet on this place
10:37 pm
called heaven. but if i die tomorrow i could go to a place i have no more problems. can you imagine that? i can't lose on that bet. my ultimate bet is the matter what i do in the back of my mind every day i think mama was onto something because even if i'm wrong i don't lose. but let's work on that city, that right type. as a child, those midsession, trying to get to that city called heaven. to get to that city, there's a certain way you live and give them a certain way you conduct yourself. if we get back to having a goal, not just materialism on earth, but if you really believe you're free of all these things some of the rest of your life in peace, i don't know about you, but i want to get there. thank you.
10:38 pm
[applause] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> pastor, pastor, you're in this boat. it's true, isn't it? >> you're doing some nice preaching up there. [laughter] >> hey, i wondered where you were. he edited in this. >> thanks again. really appreciate your marks.
10:39 pm
>> i have to say goodbye. >> let me sign your book. >> that's either going to say? that's okay. >> this is a book party for armstrong williams, host of a morty and greece under in the washington d.c. home. for more information, visit his website at right at blair.com. >> when the deepwater horizon exploded on april 20, 2010, i was in houston with a group of oil at this -- actually not that this, a group of people who lived in oil impacted communities around the world.
10:40 pm
nigeria, angola, kazakhstan, alaska, california, texas, mississippi who would all come together in houston for chevron's annual shareholder meeting. they came to share what it means to live in a chevron impact a community, at least for chevron operates. and while we were there, had been a couple of weeks during the course every time they are after the explosion happened, after the loss of life of 11 men come after the oil started flowing when we realize that this not only was an enormous gulf of life comes not only an enormous disaster, but a crushing reality to people like myself who had spent a significant amount of time setting the oil industry who has been a significant amount timer or the oil operation takes place something dawned on all of us.
10:41 pm
the oil industry about stopping no idea whatsoever what to do about a deepwater blowout. not at all. they said they knew what to do. they said they had planned to know what to do. the reality was that what they knew how to do is somewhat deal with a blowout at 400 feet. most of the time since really the 1970s, most deep, deepwater drilling permit drilling at 400 feet of the ocean surface. this well and what deepwater drilling needs now is drilling at 5000 feet below the ocean surface and that's the ocean here, for 5000 feet below. this well was another 13,800 feet below that. it isn't even a more. slightly further out, not the deepest well is another well that is as far down as mount everest is up. what we found out is even though
10:42 pm
they guarantee they knew what they were doing, they were trying to apply technology developed in the 1970s for 400 but wells to a 5000-foot well and they didn't know what they were doing and they weren't able to stop the gusher. and not only that, but they had guaranteed s. that were there to be a blowout and everybody knows there can be a blowout because that's what you plan for, the gulf of mexico is one of the most difficult places to drill in the world. it's very cashers. it bubbles up, kicks, mixed ruling very difficult and everyone knows this and it replan britain for drilling in the gold says we can handle kicks, blowouts. well, both have been increasing in the gulf, any more and more frequently. the people on the rig knew it was having a difficult time. in fact, this was the second rig to try and drilled as well.
10:43 pm
a previous rig had been kicked so hard to escape up and had to go home. the deepwater resin was the replacement. the deepwater resin was $100 million over budget. it was many, many, many days of schedule and the people on the rig knew they were in trouble. they knew that there could be a blowout. the industry had promised that it could handle that oil is still for the worst to happen at 300,000 barrels of oil per day. but we found out is likely at its worst this bill was 80,000 barrels a day and yet they had no capacity whatsoever to do with it. they should not have ships ready to contain the oil. they didn't have under water vehicles ready. they hadn't prepared. not only that, even after the
10:44 pm
1989 valdez disaster, they had been committed to commerce uncivil for, legally operated to invest on research and what to do if they have an oil spill and prepare for it. they hadn't. none of them. we are using the exact same type ologies that utterly failed to clean up after valdez for only 14% was clean to today in response to this. not to put this into scale, what happened because they didn't know what to do when they spent three months walking around -- that's not fair. they were trying hard. they sat around a table trying very, very hard. they were engineers hard at work or they wanted to stop this gusher, but they couldn't for three long months. what happened in the course of the three long months smashes the time in which the gusher was flowing, they finally did figure out how to put a cap on it and goodness. but no one actually really felt
10:45 pm
secure that the well was closed until five months later with something else happening now is was the drilling of the release file. with the oil industry has had to do well is drilled. but that means recently what they know how to do is drill so if we had another well if there's a reason to assume that a b. a will to be applied because the only thing we are sure that worked was the release file. if there's another blowout, what we should anticipate is five minutes of oil. what we know about the deepwater during that this isn't new. there's only 148 operations in the world. they've basically been going on for 20 years. and they are pushing this hard because there's a lot of oil out there. what we know about the deepwater is when you have an accident, it's a long way to go to get to it and there's a lot of oil. with the amount of oil into
10:46 pm
context, we've all been hampered in being able to explain and really put into words the significance of the size of this bill and that's because we can't say the words that would make it that much more dramatic, which is the largest oil spill in world history. there's only one reason why we can't say that and that is because saddam hussein intentionally, in the most blatant way possible use oil as a weapon in 1991 and intentionally opened up oil tankers to attack american and british troops with oil in kuwait. and that spans down the largest oil spill in world history because he did it intentionally. had that not happened, this would be handed down the largest oil spill in world history. 210 million gallons of oil were released. one thing we know for sure, when this had been only it was going to be bigger than we thought and
10:47 pm
that the 11 men who died, the story wasn't going to end with fans and it wasn't going to end with their families. it was going to spread to other people across the five states who live around the ninth largest body of water and it was going a fact they see life and everything that lives in the ocean. the thing to know about the gulf coast is everything that lives in the ocean is part and parcel to everything on land, part and parcel to all the people unlikelihood indeed an understanding of their community. in the effect on the sea is the effect on the people and livelihoods and communities of those people. what i learned in going down in the first couple weeks in the first couple days i was there was this huge story to transparency was so difficult from the first time i went down, private security guards, police officers, sheriffs for keeping us up beaches. you couldn't go look, couldn't
10:48 pm
take pictures, couldn't record the event. one of the things that happen with controlling the story became very important. when told that bp utilize that was very powerful. i hope you saw the pictures that john was showing. greenpeace took such important photographs at this event, not just the work that greenpeace said, but the photographs that capture it are used throughout my book to try and make tangible board and imagery the story of this event. capturing those photographs became more and more difficult. one reason why is because if you remember in valdez, it was the photographs that really captured people's soul. and people organized aggressively in the response to valdez. they shut down exxon station, protested, demanded policy and got out of the bush
10:49 pm
administration, the bush senior administration, critical piece of legislation. similarly in 1869 at the coast of santa barbara when an oil well blue, people organized, people ready. they saw the imagery that captured hearts and souls in a year later they got birthday. they got the clean water act, the clean air act, the environmental protection agency and the levin long years of organizing later, in moratorium. what happened here was that those photographs, particularly of the brown pelicans soaked in oil captured our hearts and minds. but those pictures started to go away. what most people assumed his pictures are going away because oil birds were going away. that's not have been. but i was able to track in the book is in fact is the number of
10:50 pm
oil birds is increasing, photographs were decreasing. the reason why was because we started being threatened to be thrown in jail if we went within 40 miles -- 40 feet of boom. if we went onto beaches where there is oil. i was trying to go in those who take pictures and talk to people, go into the water near boom. and when that people trust that they'll find out as a book author wouldn't take me because i'll get a $40,000 fine and you'll get thrown in jail. i went onto beaches, even though it meant risking being thrown in jail and did what i could to try and tell the story. we all did our best to do it. but the story became very difficult to tell and i knew that was going to happen and that's when i decided early on this would require more than an article, more than a few days. it is going to require a full book of investigation and going to require spending as much time as possible in most communities.
10:51 pm
i basically spent my time and realized my previous books, for those of you who have read them i really policy. my background is public policy. i worked for two united states members of congress. my masters in public policy from georgetown. this is going to need to be different look and it's really a book that is the human story of the hangman products and people impacted on all sides. i talked to people employed in the oil industry, oil executives , fishers, environmentalists, policymakers spirit i spent a good time in washington d.c. talking to people here, policymakers here and down there. in the story that told -- just to say i was overwhelmed by the graciousness of people of the hardest point in their lives taking me in. >> you can watch this and other programs online at otb downward.
10:52 pm
>> we asked, what are you reading this summer? here's what you had to say. >> baghdad's a tweaked to let us know what you plan on reading this summer. you can e-mail us booktv@
10:53 pm
booktv@span.org. >> booktv is that book asko america, that convention in new york city, looking at some of the fall 2011 books coming out. we're pleased to be joined by george gibson, publisher of bloomsbury press. tell us about some of your books and let's start here with carl bogus this book on will buckley. >> this is the first full biography of bill buckley, an icon of the conservative arena. he was really the father of conservatism as it is known today but a remarkable man. very little has been written. >> at bester buggers have access to its library. >> bogus interestingly enough is a very interesting balance of biographies that will fascinate people understand sides of the
10:54 pm
aisle. >> some and not liberal is not the recovered often on booktv who is the eric davis hanson. now i see a novel coming out. >> this is his first novel and remarkable epic about at the monotonous and the extraordinary battles he thought. he brings alive were fire in the ancient world in a way that very few people can. this book is alive at that kind of detail. it's a fascinating thing for him to do and i think will be a great success. >> the offender shall fear, albert cho: inside mexico's criminal insurgency. >> welcomed ian grillo was the actor, with lived in mexico the last 10 years has gone inside the drug insurgency in mexico and interviewed everybody above from the gang leaders through the police and tells the inside story of what is happening in mexico. the extraordinary upheaval in
10:55 pm
their society. because he tells it from all angles, you'll come to understand who is responsible, not just the gangs. the government bears the as well. droughts or mexico are low for the united states. >> american crisis. >> though fowler is a distinguished professor at northeastern. we were talking a few years ago and said he wanted to write a book about the famous speech george washington gave to his troops at newburgh in 1783 right after the war supposedly ended. i said to bill, i thought yet to read a larger story about the year 1781 to 83. we think the war ended when cornwallis surrendered to george washington at the town. in fact, it didn't end for two more years until the british forces are out in 1783. this is a story of the tumultuous and dangerous two
10:56 pm
years. the states were not allied or they wouldn't give any money to pay the armies. the army was on a verge of mutiny. the treaty had not been signed yet. the country was in complete chaos. in many ways, washington hold it together enough of this this book is about. >> those are the books coming out in fall 2011 from bloomsbury. if you would, mr. gibson, give us a snapshot of bloomsbury press. >> well, bloomsbury u.s.a. on the adult site has three imprints. the main bloomsbury and print any press imprint of walker and company. lounsbury the main imprint does a lot of fiction, food, national history and sports related titles. bloomsbury press does the history, science and current affairs and the walker list does
10:57 pm
history and science as well, self-improvement books and a lot of language books. >> are you selling more e-books than you are hardback books at this point? >> not more, but we saw a great many. e-book sales have grown dramatically in the last six months. they have for every publisher. so we are selling many more than we were at this time last year and it's become a hugely significant part. >> how would you like to see the google book settlement and? >> happily. you know, i don't know that i want to comment as a publisher. making books available. it's also critically important that authors and publishers are compensated. >> george gibson is the publisher of bloomsbury press. thank you for a few minutes.
10:58 pm
10:59 pm
>> next, don peck discusses the cultural impact of the economic recession. it is about an hour. [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> okay, good evening. we will get started. welcome to politics & prose bookstore. i am mike giarratano. a schedule of events here and i welcome you this evening on behalf of

72 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on